How do I select the right trailer for my boat?
There are several aspects you need to consider to ensure you select the right trailer for your boat.
- First you need to select the right trailer for you hull. Rollers or Skids? Generally most aluminium boats up to 5.3m are best suited on skid or centre keel roller trailers (Dunbier Centreline, Dunbier Loader or Dunbier Rollamatic models). Fibreglass boats are best suited to a multi roller trailer for ease of launching and retrieving (Dunbier Supa Rolla, Dunbier Wide Trackor Dunbier Rollamatic models). It is essential that you choose the Dunbier trailer with the right support for your boat.
- Next would be the weight of your boat. Depending on what you will be using the trailer for you have to consider how much weight your trailer can carry which includes the weight of your boat, your motor, the trailer, fuel that you will be towing and any other gear that you may load into your boat. Generally you would allow for 75 - 100kg of gear and 1 litre of petrol equals approx 1 kg. If you go away on long trips please ensure you allow for the extra weight you may pack into your boat, and ensure you don't exceed what the maximum towing weight is for that trailer. Overloading your trailer you will experience blowouts or suspension problems just to name a few. The towing weight, will determine whether you require brakes or not on your trailer.
- Please take into consideration the vehicle that will be towing your boat. If you drive a wagon or 4WD you may require more length in your drawbar to allow you to open the rear door of your car comfortably. Also in tight reversing spaces you reduce the chances of damaging your vehicle and boat. This can sometimes be achieved by the next trailer size up but speak to your dealer about this, if this is a concern.
- And finally you need to think about where you will be storing your boat. Some places are governed by a height restriction whilst other a width restriction or even a length restriction. For height restricted areas Dunbier offer "wide" frame models that may assist if this is a concern. The trailer is wider allowing the boat to sit deeper into the trailer; however this may not be the answer for everyone. You can get over all lengths and widths of our trailers by clicking on the model trailer that you are interested in, or from our trailer catalogue.
- Speak to The Trailer Shop (your local Dunbier dealer) to assist you when considering your trailer choices.